Wednesday 23 May 2012

You're a match. oh my god 19/5/12

yep. i'm a perfect match for this person, whoever they are, and wherever they are. 
If I'd bothered to check my email on Friday 18th I'd have known a day earlier but I'd had my car theory test that day and an early dart from work so I didn't (like an idiot).


I was at the studio with the girls, having a beer and a general chit chat when I found out. My phone buzzed, it was a text from my dad saying "there's a big-looking letter here from Anthony Nolan". Well that was it, I had to  call him and get him to open it right away - the suspense would have killed me! 


"Dear Rachel

Thank you for providing your last blood sample.  The testing phase is now complete and we are pleased to inform you that you are compatible with the patient in need of a stem cell transplant and have been requested to donate.

The Transplant Centre responsible for the patient’s care has indicated they have a preference for a peripheral blood stem cell collection (PBSC), and they would like this to occur on the 12 & 13 June.   However, the choice of donation method is ultimately yours.

We would like you to carefully consider if you wish to proceed on the understanding that this is an entirely voluntary decision. Please read the ‘You Are A Match, Save A Life’ booklet enclosed and discuss the matter with your family, friends and employer.

You will need to attend a medical examination ideally on one day during the week beginning 21 May in one of our London hospitals, in order to ensure that you are medically fit to donate.  All arrangements and expenses related to the medical and donation will be covered by us and we are happy to cover the transport costs of a companion should you wish to bring someone with you.

As you have been requested for a donation in the near future, please refrain from donating blood or platelets until the donation has occurred.

Please contact us on 0303 303 0303 as soon as possible between the hours of 9am and 5pm to discuss the situation and to make the necessary arrangements.  If you decide you do not wish to proceed to donation, it is extremely important that you inform us urgently so the Transplant Centre can decide on the best course of treatment for their patient."

so there we have it. This meant that I found out on the Saturday, and by the time I got in touch with them it was Monday... and I had to have the medical on Tuesday.

Terrifying. London is a big place. Notherners like me are not built for the stresses of the tube!

It's all for a good cause though so I guess i'll just have to man up.

This was another time when I got all emotional and overwhelmed with the severity of the situation (I know, I'm a crybaby, right?). Luckily my boyfriend was there and I allowed myself a moment of weakness to have a cry. He told me that he was made up for me and I should be proud of what I'm doing, but it really doesn't feel that way to me. So many people have said exactly that, that it's an amazing thing, but to me it's just that someone has to do it, and if it's not me then someone else would have to, and if you dont just step up and do it, that person may not have ever found a match, who knows. 

I don't think it's particularly brave or whatever else. I'm terrified, it's hardly brave, it's not even a big deal I'm just a wuss! I just wish more people would take the initiative and just go for it.

R xo

No comments:

Post a Comment